Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter Bunny

A personal note today, faithful readers, about Easter chocolate. One of my favourites since I was a kid was Allan's chocolate rabbit, Mr. Solid. The "Easter Bunny" tried for a few years to replace the solid chocolate rabbits in my, and my siblings', baskets with upscale hollow ones from Laura Secord, but collectively, we rebelled and demanded the return of Mr. Solid. His name just said it all: solid. Reliable. A go-to guy. Substance over style. What you see is what you get. Looking up at you with his one good yellow candy eye, you knew he could be trusted.

Fast forward to the new millennium. The good people at Allan decided to update the packaging for
Mr. Solid and his brethren, Messrs. Nutty, Fluffy, Munchy, and Fruit & Nut (all rather homo-erotic sounding, I'll admit), and I think mistakenly. The persona of Mr. Solid should never have been some Hercules-esque beefcake. Rather, I've always considered Mr. Solid akin to the Wolf from Pulp Fiction - the only one you need to call to get the job done.

Of course, in this case, the "job" is a dangerously elevated blood sugar level - but that's another story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home