Friday, April 21, 2006

Killer Queen

Your humble scribe is often (more often than you'd think) dragged into debates about the monarchy. It's a bit of a sticky wicket. I'm a rank sentimentalist, and I think the traditional ties between Canada and Britain have true symbolic value, providing a sense of continuity to our nation's roots. They are our collective history and should not be arbitrarily dismissed as "old-fashioned."

That being said, they are old-fashioned. Aside from being sentimental, I'm also democratic, and Canada is a modern democracy, without a codified class system, where people succeed by their own merit (theoretically at least). To pay allegiance to a hereditary monarch seems odd in such a system, and to be forever beholden to a foreign country seems destined to keep us from true self-determination.

Both sides of the argument are predictable (which is why I don't like talk-radio call-in shows). What should Canada do? That depends. If a referendum was held now, I think the results would be close as they were in Australia - but that's because Elizabeth is still Queen and there are still veterans who fought for her father. Ask the same question if Charles was King and it would be a different matter. Ask again if Charles stepped aside and let William ascend as a photogenic boy-King, and it would be a different matter again.

As for me, my genealogy hobby led me to discover a Loyalist ancestor in the family, and I've become a card-carrying member of the United Empire Loyalist Association. I suppose sentiment would win over my personal opinion if there was a vote - there are bound to be enough on the other side to make it interesting.

Anyway, Happy 80th, Your Majesty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home